Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Homework Assignment!!!

I spoke to many parents about the new math curriculum this week at conferences. I stumbled upon this video tonight and I think this teacher does a great job of putting many of my thoughts on Common Core math into words.

I know it can be frustrating, but I truly see students who are better equipped to think deeply about math and give quality explanations for their strategies.  It is certainly going to take some time for everyone to adjust- students to have received the curriculum in each grade level, teachers who are experts on all of these strategies and at building this conceptual understanding, and parents who feel capable and empowered to continue to work with their children at home, but we are on the way!

Please watch it and share your thoughts!

Here is the link to the video.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. The more I learn about this conceptual way to teach math, the more excited I become.This generation will really learn how to think outside of the box.

    I still have a lot to learn about this new curriculum. Please continue to share helpful resources.

    ReplyDelete