Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Welcome back to school!!!

I am excited to be staring this second week of school with my new class of students!!!

Currently, we are doing many things at the beginning of this new school year. We have been reviewing the three school rules and creating our classroom rules.  We have been talking about our school's core values and what they each mean.  We have summed up our core values with the acronym "Penguin PRIDE":
P=Partnerships
R=Rigor
I=Integrity
D=Determination
E=Equity
Any student who memorizes these 5 core values gets an extra coupon and prize on Friday!  There is a bulletin board outside of our classroom to serve as a reminder.

In math, we are learning all about rounding numbers- both to the nearest hundred and also to the nearest 10.  By the end of this week, students should be able to do both with accuracy.  You may want to have them practice with their new ScootPad account- I have set up a rounding practice for them to complete.  ScootPad is something I have joined as a trial user and I would like the students to explore across this month.

In reading, we are testing students' current reading levels, beginning reading groups and studying the genre of Realistic Fiction.

I hope to see you all at Back to School Night next Wednesday, September 11 at 7pm.  Please take some time to explore my blog before you come to see some of the great things we did last year in Grade 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment